- Original Medicare only covers dental services if they’re needed as a result of an illness or injury.
- Many Medicare Advantage plans include dental coverage.
- Cigna Medicare dental coverage is part of many Cigna Medicare Advantage plans.
Routine dental checkups and cleanings are the best way to prevent painful or expensive oral health problems.
Cigna Medicare dental coverage is included in most Cigna Medicare Advantage plans. These plans offer the same options as original Medicare — medical and hospital coverage — as well as prescription drug plans. They also include hearing, vision, and dental coverage.
Many Cigna Advantage plans provide preventive dental care, including routine checkups, cleanings, and X-rays, with no copays or deductibles.
Restorative dental care coverage is included in most plans, as well, but you’ll have a copay. Cigna has a national network of over 90,000 dentists who provide dental care for their Medicare members.
Cigna Medicare dental coverage varies between plans, but most Advantage policies offer preventive dental coverage. When you visit an in-network dentist, they will automatically submit your insurance claim, and you won’t have to worry about the paperwork.
Dental services covered by Cigna plans may include:
- routine dental checkups every 6 months
- cleanings every 6 months
- dental X-rays once per year
- fillings and root canals
- tooth extractions
- braces or other orthodontic work
- dentures and partials
- emergency treatment
- oral surgery
You can get dental coverage through several different plans. A basic dental plan will provide cleanings, routine exams, and X-rays.
Extra coverage will handle dental services, such as crowns, fillings, and root canals. You can even find plans that cover braces.
Plans may differ from state to state, so before choosing a Cigna Advantage plan with dental, compare all the plans available in your area. You can find all the options in your area using the Medicare plan finder tool. Just enter your ZIP code.
Before selecting a policy, check the deductibles and copays, and find out if you need to choose a primary dentist or see in-network dentists. For most plans, you’ll receive better benefits by visiting in-network dentists.
Costs for Medicare Advantage plans are based on your zip code and the plan you choose. Here is a sample of the costs for Cigna Medicare Advantage plans that include dental.
Examples of Cigna dental plan costs
American citizens or permanent residents over the age of 65 are eligible for Medicare. Adults who are under the age of 65 and have a chronic illness or a disability may also qualify for Medicare.
For Cigna Medicare dental, you’ll need to sign up for original Medicare parts A and B. Contact your local Social Security office to enroll.
To enroll in a Cigna Medicare Advantage plan with dental coverage, visit the Medicare plan finder tool. Enter your ZIP code to see all the Cigna plans available in your county and compare benefits. Check each plan’s dental coverage, deductibles, and copays.
To enroll, fill out an online application form or call customer service for assistance.
What are the different parts of Medicare?
Medicare is divided into a few “parts.” Each part of Medicare covers different healthcare needs. Currently, the parts of Medicare include:
- Medicare Part A. Medicare Part A is hospital insurance. It covers you during short-term, inpatient stays in hospitals and for services like hospice. It also provides limited coverage for skilled nursing facility care and select in-home services.
- Medicare Part B. Medicare Part B is medical insurance that covers everyday care needs like doctor’s appointments, therapist visits, medical equipment, and urgent care visits.
- Medicare Part C. Medicare Part C is also called Medicare Advantage. These plans combine the coverage of parts A and B into a single plan. Medicare Advantage plans are offered by private insurance companies and are overseen by Medicare.
- Medicare Part D. Medicare Part D is prescription drug coverage. Part D plans are stand-alone plans that cover only prescriptions. These plans are also provided through private insurance companies.
- Medigap. Medigap is also known as Medicare supplement insurance. Medigap plans help cover the out-of-pocket costs of Medicare, like deductibles, copayments, and coinsurance amounts.
Does original Medicare include dental coverage?
Original Medicare (parts A and B) doesn’tprovide routine dental coverage. However, original Medicare will cover dental work if it is necessary due to an illness or injury.
For example, if you need dental services due to oral cancer, or, if you need surgery for a fractured jaw after an accident, original Medicare will provide coverage.
Does Cigna cover dental care?
Many Cigna plans cover dental care, but benefits can vary between plans. Most Advantage plans offer preventive dental care, and some will include more comprehensive dental services.
Compare policies before enrolling and find one that provides the dental coverage you need.
Can I add dental to my Cigna Medicare Advantage plan?
If you enroll in a Cigna Medicare Advantage plan without a dental plan, you can add it. Cigna has several dental plans available.
You can add a dental policy to your Cigna Advantage plan and pay all your premiums in a single bill.
When can I apply for a Medicare Advantage plan?
If you’re planning to enroll in Medicare Advantage, you’ll need to know several enrollment deadlines and dates:
- Initial enrollment period. This is a 7-month window around your 65th birthday when you can sign up for Medicare. It begins 3 months before your birth month, includes the month of your birthday, and then extends 3 months after your birthday. During this time, you can enroll for all parts of Medicare without a penalty.
- Open enrollment period (October 15–December 7). During this time, you can switch from original Medicare (parts A and B) to Part C (Medicare Advantage), or from Part C back to original Medicare. You can also switch Part C plans or add, remove, or change a Part D plan.
- General enrollment period (January 1–March 31). You can enroll in Medicare during this time frame if you didn’t enroll during your initial enrollment period.
- Special enrollment period. If you delayed Medicare enrollment for an approved reason, you can later enroll during a special enrollment period. You have 8 months from the end of your coverage or the end of your employment to sign up without penalty.
- Medicare Advantage open enrollment (January 1–March 31). During this period, you can switch from one Medicare Advantage plan to another or go back to original Medicare. You cannot enroll in a Medicare Advantage plan if you currently have original Medicare.
- Cigna offers dental plans as part of their Medicare Advantage plans.
- Medicare Advantage dental plans may cover preventive dental care which can help lower your dental care costs in the future by helping you keep your teeth healthy.
- If you are eligible for Medicare Advantage, you are eligible for dental plans when offered.
The information on this website may assist you in making personal decisions about insurance, but it is not intended to provide advice regarding the purchase or use of any insurance or insurance products. Healthline Media does not transact the business of insurance in any manner and is not licensed as an insurance company or producer in any U.S. jurisdiction. Healthline Media does not recommend or endorse any third parties that may transact the business of insurance.